Sunday, May 1, 2011

The Book Shelf What We’re Reading… Yoga Haven Staff Picks


What We’re Reading…
Yoga Haven Staff Picks

       Looking for a great spring read?  Yoga Haven instructor, Kate Vantucci has just the book for you.  The Wisdom of Yoga: a Seekers Guide to Extraordinary Living  by Stephen Cope. “It's such a good book, I don't feel like I can say enough wonderful things about it,” says Kate. “I was initially drawn to it because of the title--I mean, who doesn’t want to live an extraordinary life, right?  But once I started reading it, I was hooked on his writing. It reads like a novel.”
      “In the Wisdom of Yoga,” continues Kate, “Cope demystifies and sheds light on Patanjali's Yoga Sutras. He introduces us to people he knows and allows us access to their own personal journeys.  Through their (and his own) struggles and triumphs, he shows us how we can all integrate the teachings of Patanjali and take the next step toward living an extraordinary life. He makes Patanjali’s teachings feel like they really are within our grasp. In the book’s intro, Cope says, ‘Struggle and liberation live side-by-side in the life of a practitioner of yoga.  My hope is that the stories of struggle and liberation that follow will inspire the reader to look carefully into the possibilities of transmuting ordinary struggle into a quietly extraordinary life.  And that our gaze backward into the discoveries of the ancient yogis will also be a gaze inward-a gaze that will unlock our own authentic possibilities for living.’  Yummy.  Whenever I’m in need of some easily digested and transferable wisdom, I know I have to look no further than this book!”


This book is available in the Yoga Haven office/store.